Lesson Study is a well-known approach originated from Japan for action research in classroom by teachers. It is an effective model for teachers to join their activities to improve their teaching. This approach emphasizes the improvement of students’ mathematical thinking which involves three steps namely Plan-Do-See.
In this course, participants will have opportunity to conduct lesson study in school collaboratively by practising the plan-do-see steps.
- Plan: Participants and facilitators work collaboratively to develop lesson plan;
- Do: A model teacher implements the lesson plan in a real classroom while others (teachers, headmaster, and facilitators) observes the lesson; and
- See: The teacher and observers conduct lesson evaluation and reflection.
- Current Issues and Trends in Mathematics Education
- Concepts and Principles of Lesson Study
- Enhancing Mathematics Teaching and Learning through Lesson Study
- Learning and Observation Perspectives in Lesson Study
- Hypothetical Learning Trajectory
- Post-Lesson Discussion in Lesson Study
- Establishing and Sustaining Lesson Study Processes
- Exemplary Lesson Plan, Teaching Material, Worksheet, and Evaluation Sheet
- Redesigning Lesson in Lesson Study
- Problem Solving Approach
- Mathematical Thinking
- Computational Thinking
- STEM Education
- Research-proven Pedagogy
- Integrating Technology in Mathematics Teaching and Learning
- Designing Instructions based on Cognitive Load Theory
- Preparing lesson study activity (Plan)
- Implementation of lesson study at school (Do & See)
- Publishing report and designing follow up programme
Course facilitators are experts from SEAQiM, PPPPTK Matematika, and reputable universities in Indonesia and abroad.
- To provide participants the opportunity to understand lesson study in mathematics education.
- To enhance competences of participants in developing lesson study in mathematics education.
- To provide participants the opportunity to implement and participate in lesson study activities.
- To provide participants the opportunity to become learning researchers in mathematics.
At the end of the course participants should be able to:
- explain the concept of lesson study,
- implement lesson study,
- establish system for the proposed lesson study activities, and
- monitor and evaluate lesson study activities.
Participants of the course are about 30 selected mathematics teachers from SEAMEO Member Countries.
Group 1: Secondary school (year 7 – 12) mathematics teachers
Group 2: Primary school (year 1 – 6) mathematics teachers
Every course is attended either by Group 1 or Group 2 participants.
The course runs for 100 hours @45 minutes. The activities during the course constitute of theories and practices.