Lesson Study is a well-known approach originated from Japan for action research in the classroom by teachers. It is an effective model for teachers to join their activities to improve their teaching. This approach emphasizes the improvement of students’ mathematical thinking which involves three steps namely Plan-Do-See.
In this course, participants will have the opportunity to conduct lesson study in school collaboratively by practising the plan-do-see steps.
- Plan: Participants and facilitators work collaboratively to develop lesson plan;
- Do: A model teacher implements the lesson plan in a real classroom while others (teachers, headmaster, and facilitators) observes the lesson; and
- See: The teacher and observers conduct lesson evaluation and reflection.
At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- explain the concept of lesson study in mathematics education;
- develop lesson study process in mathematics education;
- implement and participate in lesson study activity in mathematics education.
- Current Issues in Mathematics Education
- Concepts and Principles of Lesson Study
- Value of Lesson Study: Enhancing Mathematics Teaching and Learning
- Innovative Learning in Mathematics Education
- Mathematics in Context
- Hypothetical Learning Trajectory
- Establishing and Sustaining Lesson Study Processes
- Learning and Observation Perspectives in Lesson Study
- Post-Lesson Discussion and Its Level
- Problem Solving Approach
- Designing Instructions based on Cognitive Load Theory
- Exemplary Lesson Plan, Teaching Material, Worksheet, and Evaluation Sheet
- Mathematical Thinking
- Selected Topics in Primary School Mathematics
- Exploring STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) Activities
- Developing Lesson Plan
- Writing Group Report
- Pre- and Post-test
- Designing Individual Action Plan
Course facilitators are specialists and expertsfrom SEAQiM, national or international educational institutions, as well as reputable universities in Indonesia and abroad.
Participants of the course are 30 mathematics teachers selected from SEAMEO Member Countries
The course runs for 100 hours @45 minutes. The activities during the course comprises both theories and practices.