Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) has been a major topic of discussion in the field of education, due to it being the most esteemed field in order to respond to the demands of the 21st century. STEM education will be an important knowledge for teachers in order to educate the future high-quality workforce. However, there is a considerable lack of STEM programs offered by the educational institutions in Indonesia.
SEAQiM proposes to hold this course to answer this shortage, especially for mathematics teachers. In this course, the topic concerns the STEM for mathematics learning perspective; how teachers can implement the STEM approach in their mathematics classroom despite the content and assessment suggested by the curriculum, which often times still compartmentalize each subject. The STEM approach is an innovative and novel way of teaching mathematics, which is important in order to keep mathematics learning meaningful and joyful.
At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- explain the characteristics of STEM education,
- design STEM activities for mathematics teaching and learning,
- develop and implement STEM Lesson.
- Introduction to SEAMEO
- Current Issues and Trends in Mathematics Education
- Introduction to STEM Education
- Engineering Design Process
- STEM Activities in Primary School
- Mathematics in Context
- Mathematical Modelling
- Assessment in STEM
- Integrating Art in STEM Learning
- Problem Solving
- Hypothetical Learning Trajectory
- Computational Thinking
- Mathematical Literacy
- Digital Mathematics Environment
- Developing Lesson Plan
- Peer teaching
- Real teaching
- Writing group report
- Pre- and Post-test
- Designing Individual Action plan
Course facilitators are specialists and experts from SEAQiM, national or international educational institutions, as well as reputable universities in Indonesia and abroad.
Participants of the course are 30 mathematics teachers selected from SEAMEO Member Countries
The course runs for 100 hours @45 minutes. The activities during the course comprises both theories and practices.