Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) has been major topic of discussion in the field of education, due to it being the most esteemed fields in order to respond to the demand of 21st century. STEM education will be an important knowledge for teachers in order to educate future high-quality workforce. However, there is considerable lack of STEM program offered by educational institution in Indonesia.
We propose to use this course to answer this shortage, especially for mathematics teacher. In this course, the topic concern STEM for mathematics learning perspective; how teachers can implement STEM approach in their mathematics classroom despite the content and assessment suggested by the curriculum, which often times still compartmentalize each subject. STEM approach is an innovative and novel way of teaching mathematics, which is important in order to keep mathematics learning meaningful and joyful.
- Current Issues and Trends in Mathematics Education
- Rationale of STEM Education
- Engineering Design Process
- STEM Activities
- STEM for Global Citizenship
- Mathematics in Context
- Problem Solving in STEM Education
- Mathematical Modelling
- Assessment in STEM
- Hypothetical Learning Trajectory
- Computational Thinking
- Mathematical Literacy
- Digital Mathematics Environment
- Practical Mathematics
- Developing and Implementing Lesson Plan at School
- Publishing report and Designing Follow up Programme
Course facilitators are experts from SEAQiM, PPPPTK Matematika, and reputable universities in Indonesia and abroad.
At the end of the course participants should be able to:
- Explain the characteristics of STEM education,
- Design STEM activities for mathematics teaching and learning,
- Produce STEM teaching materials.
During the course, the participant will develop: (1) STEM model for teaching and learning, (2) lesson plan, (3) learning materials for STEM, (3) action plan (what they will do after returning to their institution or country), and (4) final report.
Participants of the course are about 30 selected mathematics teachers from SEAMEO Member Countries.
The course runs for 100 hours @45 minutes. The activities during the course constitute of theories and practices.