Learning should be joyful because it is a perpetual growth process and self-reflection. Mathematics teachers are expected to develop mathematics learning activities that not only provide the opportunity for students to discover, explore, and problem-solve, but also foster positive attitude and appreciation toward mathematics and its role in our life.
Course on Joyful Learning in Mathematics Education provides mathematics teachers a different perspective in teaching mathematics. Teachers are introduced to various joyful activities to promote meaningful mathematics learning, such as mathematics games, physical and virtual manipulatives, as well as hands-on activities. Furthermore, the course also provides the opportunity for teachers to collaborate with each other in designing and implementing learning experiences that incorporate those activities.
At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- explain the principle of joyful learning in mathematics education,
- identify and select appropriate joyful learning strategies for different mathematics topics and students’ needs, and
- develop and implement mathematics learning applying joyful learning.
- Introduction to SEAMEO
- Current Issues and Trends in Mathematics Education
- The Concept and Principle of Joyful Learning
- Instructional Strategies and Approaches for Joyful Learning
- Outdoor Mathematics
- Mathematics and Art
- Mathematics and Games
- Exploring Virtual Manipulatives for Mathematics Teaching and Learning
- Exploring Physical Manipulatives for Mathematics Teaching and Learning
- Alternative Assessment in Joyful Learning
- Using History of Mathematics for Joyful Learning
- Mathematical Literacy
- Differentiated Instructions in mathematics education
- Integrative STEM/STEAM Teaching and Learning
- Hypothetical Learning Trajectory
- Problem Solving
- Developing Lesson Plan
- Writing Group Report
- Pre- and Post-test
- Designing Individual Action Plan
Course facilitators are specialists and expertsfrom SEAQiM, national or international educational institutions, as well as reputable universities in Indonesia and abroad.
Participants of the course are 30 mathematics teachers selected from SEAMEO Member Countries
The course runs for 100 hours @45 minutes. The activities during the course comprises both theories and practices.